The best odor eliminators for your home you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Stinky sneakers, pets, kitchen concoctions, forgotten gym bags: Our homes are inundated with unpleasant odors. What can you do to breathe more easily?
- Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room Odor Eliminator traps dust and uses three carbon filters to eliminate odors, sending fresh air back into your home.
With odors from cooking, pets, our bodies, and the environment in general, our homes can be really smelly places. There are scented air fresheners that temporarily mask odors, but what we really need to do is eliminate them completely.
Since most of us don't want to get rid of our loved ones (well, not permanently) or pets, we've put together a list of some of the best odor eliminators on the market. I started my testing by having a very good (and very honest) friend come into my home and give it a sniff. We all become used to the odors around us and can no longer detect them, but an outsider will catch that whiff of the litter box, last night's stuffed cabbage, or stale-smelling carpet.
Our sense of smell is powerful and causes many reactions. Some odors are pleasant and evoke good memories and emotions; others cause distress. Malodors come from a variety of sources including bacteria (spoiled food and body odor), fungus (mold and mildew), and volatile organic compounds or VOCs (paint fumes). The secret is to find a way to eliminate the bad smells and keep a balance of pleasant scents that are not overwhelming.
The definition of clean is "free from dirt, pollution, or pollutants." But maintaining a sterile home is impossible. Regular cleaning with disinfecting cleaners is the first step in maintaining an odor-free home. And, fortunately, there are products available that do a great job in eliminating odors. In my testing, I chose to focus on the toughest odors to control and the products that are the most effective, easiest to use, and offer the best value for your money.
Here are the best odor removers you can buy in 2019:
- Best home odor remover overall: Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04532GM Room Odor Eliminator
- Best odor remover for pet odors: Mister Max Original Scent Anti Icky Poo Odor Remover
- Best odor remover for carpets: Arm & Hammer Extra Strength Carpet Odor Eliminator
- Best odor remover for small spaces: Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag
- Best odor-removing air freshener: Renuzit Snuggle SuperFresh Gel Air Freshener
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.