How to properly clean your Apple Watch, including its band and Digital Crown
- You should clean your Apple Watch periodically to ensure the longevity of your device.
- You'll also want to clean the band of your Apple Watch, to enhance comfort and reduce the chance of skin irritation.
- Use a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth to clean and dry your Apple Watch - and do not use soaps or external cleaning devices.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Regularly cleaning your Apple Watch, particularly after it's been exposed to sweat, soap, and sunscreen - along with pretty much any liquid that isn't water - is important for both your comfort (a clean band reduces chances of skin irritation) and the long-term life of your device.
Here's how it's done.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to clean your Apple Watch
1. Turn off your Apple Watch by pressing and holding the side button, and remove it from its charger if connected.
3. Wipe your Apple Watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth to clean it. You can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water if needed to remove oily or sticky substances.
4. You can also hold the watch under a lightly running tap of warm fresh water for 10 to 15 seconds, but do not use any soap or other cleaning products.
5. Dry your Apple Watch with your soft, lint-free cloth, making sure you also dry off the back crystal of the device.
How to clean your Apple Watch band
1. Remove the band from your Apple Watch. If you're using a third-party band (non-Apple branded), follow the care instructions provided with that particular band.
2. For leather bands, wipe the leather portions with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. You can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water if needed to remove oily or sticky substances. Do not soak in water.
3. Allow the leather band to fully air dry before reattaching it to your Apple Watch. While drying, do not store these bands in direct sunlight or in areas with high temperature or humidity.
4. For all other bands, buckles, and closures, wipe the band with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth that's been lightly dampened with fresh water (if necessary).
5. Dry the band before reattaching to your watch.
How to clean the Apple Watch's Digital Crown
If the Digital Crown on the side of your Apple Watch gets stuck or won't move, check around the Crown for debris and wipe down your device.
If you find things like dust or lotion, here's how you can clean the Digital Crown:
1. Turn off your Apple Watch and remove it from its charger if connected.
2. If you're using a band that isn't water-resistant, remove it from your device.
3. Hold the Digital Crown under a lightly running tap of warm fresh water for 10 to 15 seconds. Do not use any soap or other cleaning products.
4. Turn and press the Digital Crown as the water runs past the gap between the crown and the rest of the watch.
5. Dry your watch thoroughly using a soft, lint-free cloth.